Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hydroponics Part 1

  Hydroponics is a system where it grows by nutrient-rich water.  This type of gardening does not use soil, it uses expanded clay pellets, rock wool, peat moss, vermiculite, or perlite so it allows the roots to grow without major friction of the soil.  The plants get all of the proper nutrients and oxygen it needs with the absence of the thick soil.  I chose to do a hydroponics system because I can control the climate, temperature, and the rate of growth.

  One of my first projects was this DIY hydroponics system, my parents thought it was another one of my "grand" plans but I wrote it out for them and during my Spring Break I went to Lowes every day and at the end of the week I made a successful system.  Although it wasn't all successful especially when the basement smelled like mold.  There after I have created "part 2" of the project during exam week, I had made a table and figured out why there was so much algae.  I looked up more and more and found some renovations I could make.  I also wanted to use the Arduino for it so I took some classes at my local maker-space, Nova Labs, and found ways to control the climate and temperature.  With the help and motivation from my father I was able to do all of this and hopefully more in the future, he helped me figure out how to work some tools and improvise parts and pieces.

Link for a more in-depth explanation of hydroponics:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/lawn-garden/professional-landscaping/alternative-methods/hydroponics.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment